Tuesday, July 3

Chassé, Tendu, et Pas de Bourreé

Spectrum Dance Theater
 
If you haven't figured it out yet, yes I went to dance class last night! With all of my time commitments to work, Jr League, and spending some quality time with bf since he's in town for the next 12 days (woohoo!) I decided I needed a little me time.

This may or may not have also been prompted by the fact I have to come up with a talent a "talent show" at my company's off-site later this month. All new hires are required to "perform" at the annual meeting. I feel only slightly guilty that this influenced me to get back in the groove. Yet I can't think of any "actual" talents I have besides giggling.

I rushed home after a late meeting, scarfed down some protein and rice; then I rummaged through my shoe collection to find my dance shoes. The amount of excitement and embarrassment I experienced when I pulled them out was unexpected. I knew it had been a while, but it was then I realized it's been 5 years since I've put them on, and 6 since I've actually performed.

My roommate seemed pleasantly surprised when I told her I was going to a jazz dance session. Guess I left out that minor detail when we were getting to know each other. Another passing of guilt briefly flickered in my mind as dance was once such a huge part of my life.

I decided to drive down to Spectrum Dance Center to take a beginner class. I used to frequent their jazz classes when I first moved to Seattle so I decided the familiarity with the company would also help ease me into things. The rustic brick building was still as I remembered it- nestled off of Lake Washington next to Madrona Park, big red doors, and creaky wooden stairs that head to the upper classroom which was always gets too hot especially in the summertime.



After paying for a week pass, I slipped out of my tennis shoes, into my dance shoes, and headed up the stairs. The class was small with only 8 attendees, and a mix of young teenagers and older women. I felt a little awkward, but decided to take a position front and center amongst the other dancers. As I looked in the mirror it was clear that if I did dance it was many years and pounds ago. Don't get me wrong I have plenty of good looks to last me through another quarter century and I'm still a size 2, but it was clear my twiggy dancer days were behind me. I always tell Jon I'm skinnyfat for a dancer :).

We began our class with ab workouts, stretches, running through some isolation movements, then practicing suspension as we practiced the choreographed routine for the evening. An hour and a half later I was sweaty and sore in places I hadn't been in years, but I was pleasantly thrilled. I was very very rusty in class but my venture was well worth the exercise.

My instructor, Donald Jones Jr., was awesome as well. A little over six feet tall (give or take) he not only has a dancer's body, it was clear he was extremely athletic. I thanked him for teaching the class and let him know that I would definitely come back (my crazy schedule permitting). As I was chatting I noticed he looked strikingly familiar, but I couldn't place him it until this morning.

Donald Jones Jr. was in a recent article I read in the Seattle Times about Spectrum Dance's new dancers. He was also in 5th Avenue Theatre's recent production of Oklahoma as "Dream" Jud. If you have time, read the Seattle Times' article, he has a pretty incredible story with how he ended up in Seattle! Not to mention he's also from New Orleans, where my mother is from, so I have a special place in my heart for transplants :).

I'm very excited that as I look to get back into my dancer routine I have an instructor whose not only experienced, he's done some pretty cool stuff already!

No comments:

Post a Comment