Thursday, January 10

Recipe Favorite- Brussel Sprouts

It seems the only time I don't ever blog is in the Fall. Usually during this time, sharing my work-life balance gets put on the back burner as I focus on work, fitness, and the holiday soirees.

I've started the new year with fortheglow.com's Resolution Challenge. I'll be honest I probably follow the home workouts and diets 75-85% but I always get more fit, and feel much better making a conscious effort to indulge greens. Anyway I wanted to share one of my favorite greens with my new favorite veggie- brussel sprouts!


I feel this veggie is one that gets a really bad rap from kids, pop culture, and some restaurants rarely serve them on there menus. I think the problem is people either tend to over cook them or don't know how to prepare them. Perfectly sauteed or steamed these mini cabbages have a great nutty flavor. Overcooked and they can taste like stinky cabbage.

 
One of my favorite brussel sprouts recipes is brussel sprout au gratin. My recipe of course should be had in moderation and not when you're planning to fulfill and New Year resolutions :). I will work on a healthier version of this recipe as it's one of Jon's favorites!

I've been sauteing this little yummies with bell peppers and onions, seasoning them with garlic, oregano, and a dash of cayenne. Maybe this is why I thought of my delish au gratin to share! I used this recipe and as always I made several edits:

2-3 cups of brussel sprouts halved
5oz of Kale washed stemmed and chopped. (I buy the Trader Joe's 10oz bag of prewashed and chopped Kale, but the more greens the better!)
6-8 red potatoes (optional)
1 cup of brown rice
1 pint of heavy cream (or almond milk)
1T of garlic powder
Cayenne to taste
1tsp of salt
1tsp of pepper
1C Beecher's Flag ship cheese
1C Bellavitano
2 cloves of garlic chopped
2T coconut oil
1T butter (salted)
1/2C croutons or bread crumbs
1/3C of slivered almonds

Melt the coconut oil in the bottom of a 6 quart pan. Add in the butter, clarifying but not burning. Add in the chopped garlic and brown rice and saute until the garlic is fragrant but not overcooked. Add the heavy cream and boil, then bring to a simmer covered for 30-45 min until the rice is cooked. Watch the pan to make sure it doesn't boil over!

 
While the rice is cooking, in a 4-8 quart pan boil the red potatoes until slightly undercooked. Remove the potatoes and slice into medallions. Line the bottom of a 9 inch baking dish with the potatoes and lightly top with a mixture of both cheeses.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Bring another 4-8 quart pan of water to a boil. Using a steamer (or you can boil in the pot if you don't have one) steam the brussel sprouts and kale until slightly tender. Remove from heat and place veggies in a large mixing bowl.


Place the bread crumbs and almonds in a food processor and coarsely chop until well blended.


When the rice is completed mix in with the veggies and seasonings. Add in all the shredded cheeses. Pour the veggie/dairy mixture over the potatoes in your baking dish. Top with your crouton/almond crust and bake for 30 minutes or until the crust is nicely browned. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment