Sunday, July 17

Pre-shopping for Barcelona

It occurred to me I have been so slammed with work, that I failed to mention I'm heading back to Europe next Saturday! Jon and I will be spending a week and a half in Barcelona and La Côte Vermeille in Collioure.

Photo of Collioure

We spent months trying to figure out where to go, and because Jon travels a lot for work (and me whenever I get the chance) we had enough Alaska Airlines points to pay round trip for tickets, and Starwood to pay for hotels! He wanted to go to Hawaii and I Paris yet somehow we managed to compromise with Barcelona and the coast of France across the Pyrenees.

Today's goal will be to pick up  few wardrobe essentials for the trip inspired by both my new favorite book, Parisian Chic, and Anthropologie's Summer Travel Checklist on Facebook. Things I'm looking for:

  • a new lightweight blazer
  • fun summer scarf
  • cropped colored denim/pants
  • fun sandals
  • easy shirts
  • summer dress or two
Most of these items I already have. I'll be looking for a few new pieces so my travel attire will be a mix of old and new. I'll assemble a few outfits and share with you all when I am finished. Here are my top 4 tips for summer travel shopping:

Make a list
Purchase only things you need for the trip. Making a list will ensure you grab everything you need (include that travel size toothbrush!).

Go for basics & compliment with trend pieces
When shopping for vacation attire it's always important to shop for your destination. Today it's overcast and was raining earlier in Seattle. Barcelona and the Vermillion Coast in contrast will be hot and humid. Buy all of your basics for shopping. All trend pieces should be rest within this season's trend but not be overdone. Try a hip handbag or trendy earrings with a casual sweater and pair of shorts. You will remain stylish without all the unnecessary effort :). It's also less expensive to buy the basics and you'll be able to circulate them in your wardrobe.

Keep a budget
You're going on vacation to do what? Go on vacation, sight see, and of course shop! Don't blow all your vacation dollars shopping for vacation. If you're a good shopper you have most of everything already in your wardrobe and will only need to pick up a few in season items or trend pieces.My rule of thumb is to make sure everything I buy (almost) is at least 30% off. Everyone loves a deal and you can justify maybe buying that extra pair of sandals you didn't need but got for a steal ;). This will also minimize impulse purchases you may come to regret or never wear.

Will I wear this again?
Lastly I always ask myself- Will I wear this again? I am notorious amongst my friends for purchasing a hot dress for a wedding or social event and then never wearing it again (or wearing it once a year). I admit it's a weakness, but I almost always get them 30-50% off retail price. And with wedding season nearly every summer I can rotate them through different social circles  every time :). The point is, don't buy something because it's the "must-have" item of the season. If it's not you and you won't wear it EXCEPT when your on vacation it will be better to invest in something you will enjoy for a while :).

OK I'm off to shower and grab a much needed cup of coffee before I begin! I'll check in later!

No comments:

Post a Comment