Friday, July 15

Combat Mediocre Customer Service- Make Social Media Work For You

I'm sure I'm not the only person who has gone through this:

Your order something online because its not available in stores, or maybe you have little time to do in person shopping. After paying for shipping you anxiously wait for your item to come. It of course is delayed because the delivery services does not operate with a "right now" mentality or your online vendor is still preparing shipment.

There's always two endings to this story- either your purchase arrives just fine, or the first attempt failed in which you'll now have to wait til Monday (next business day) for the delivery EVEN though they also work on Saturday.

If I geniunely miss the delivery I don't sweat it. But today was not the case.

FAILED ATTEMPT NOTICE:

As I was leaving to get ready for my meeting (and of course check the mail) I noticed a UPS "infonotice" note on the door about a missed 1st attempt delivery. I had not only been home all day, all regular delivery drivers are given a key for the building to access. In addition, there is placed signage by the manager to have all delivery people call her for drop off packages. Did I also mention I was home?

CALL CENTERS TURN PEOPLE INTO ZOMBIES:

The next 2 hours spiraled out of control. Not only was a juggling some crisis management with a work at my kitchen table, I had 4 unsuccessful calls with their infonotice customer center, a missed call from the distribution center (was in a meeting during a time I said they COULD NOT call and expect an answer) with a non-returnable phone number, and a dead end.

I was having the life sucked out of me as my fourth customer service rep said there was nothing I could do but to wait until Monday. I didn't pay for delayed delivery I paid for on time delivery and the guy clearly did not make an attempt to deliver but write a notice and stick it to the door.

THEN I SNAPPED:

After politely begging, and pleading, and explaining I wouldnt have the flexibility to be available round the clock should they make another half -ass attempt I realized I was being mocked on the phone and read a script. I lost it when the customer service lady said I was wasting my time.

Me: " Wasting my time? Your in the employment of customer service that is not how you should talk to anyone who calls asking for help and who is polite on the phone. I should just go tweet what horrible service you're giving me and I'll get help faster and instead of begging you to do your job."

I was taken back at how sassy I sounded and the representative bursted out in laughter. The following chain of events involved me filing a complaint with her supervisor and jumping on twitter to tweet and tag UPS delivery services and advising them to take lessons from Nordstrom.

I was barely halfway explaining to the supervisor how rude her direct report was when @UPSHelp tweeted me back. I have received 11 messages from them today. Not only did they locate my package they also called the distribution center twice and are following my package until it reaches my hands. Unbelievably good service. Now if they could get their call centers to match the caliber of their social media gurus.

No comments:

Post a Comment