Friday, June 10

From Turf to Heels

Bored in my office prepping a tumultuous 117 slide PowerPoint deck for my boss (and freaking out about my 3 hour working session this afternoon) I was startled as my neighbor slides open my door to give me a "OMG" what happened!" look. Our office space at Redmond Town Center is pretty sweet.  All offices have sliding glass doors and walls (unless you share a wall with another office). The effect is modern, a sense of transparency, and openness.

My little Russian neighbor in broken English asks why I have an ice pack in my hand. After the past week, carrying this cold case has become second nature. Half laughing I shrug it off, "minor football injury from last week. Jammed the thumb, reinjured it last night." Last night my team, West Canaan Coyotes, had a double heard for finals and landed second place.

The Russian looks at me wide-eyed and lets out a stream of giggles. "No seriously, I play in a flag football league."

Then the usual comments and questions, "but you're a very lean person", "girls play football?" And my favorite, "But you wear heels?"

I couldn't help but plaster a shit-eating grin on my face (booyah!). I dribble down the usual explanations (I'm naturally athletic, Saints fan, and I play a decent wide receiver, and a mean corner back).

Yes I know I don't have a lot of body mass, and I did wear 4 inch stilettos today;  but that doesn't mean I don't know how to toss one around with the guys. Impressed he leaves with a nod, and I'll carry a little smile every time I see him.

No comments:

Post a Comment