Wednesday, June 29

La Luna Restaurant Review

Well it's a sunny Wednesday afternoon and I'm enjoying the evening commuting across the 520 Bridge. There's an old black dude in the Seat to my left blaring Lady Gaga from his Bose headphones, who is now fighting with a young Microsoftie behind him because he politely asked him to turn his music down.
I have to agree with the MS kid- After a long day and a commute that's already an hour and we haven't passed 108th Ave NE exit yet the last thing I want to hear is someone else's music. Needless to say I'm still in a happy mood.

I decided to make use of my idle time and do a quick post reviewing a restaurant Jon and I ate at on Monday night, La Luna.

We did date night before his weekly business trip to L.A. One of our favorite spots in Queen Anne is Sezoni restaurant. Sadly it looked like this little Italian eatery and pizzeria had finally gone out of business so we swung up the hill to La Luna. Located on the corner of Queen Anne Ave and Boston, this new Mexican themed restaurant is in a prime location. A cool outdoor patio with fire pits and right at the beginning of a strip of restaurants and novelty shops at the top of the hill. My room mate mentioned a while back that they had a decent happy hour so we decided to give it a shot.

This was one of the most disappointing meals I've ever had.

Service...
was unbelievably slow. We were waited on a bubbly and ditsy blond who refused to acknowledge anyone but my boyfriend was eating at our table- with the exception of the dirty look I got when I asked for a side a guacamole for our salsa and chips. Let's be honest- that trick might work when a guy doesn't come to a restaurant with a date/significant other. It pissed Jon off more than it did me. What made it worse was she asked us what we'd like to eat and drink without giving us any menus!

Food...
could have been better. Salsa and guacamole were good. Food came extremely slow. Jon's carne asada was ordered medium and was delivered well done. And my meal was mediocre. To be fair I should have read the menu more closely. I ordered veggie tacos thinking, you know, maybe they'd do a yummy saute with bell peppers, mushrooms, onions, and top with some pico de gallo. Nope, too great of expectations for this place. My 4 corn tortillas came out with chopped potatoes topped with green sauce and a little guacamole. How depressing that they expected me to eat bland food. I asked for a side of cheese to go with it and was denied twice by the bartender because I ordered "vegetarian" tacos. Come on people! The menu didn't say vegan. Anyway I've posted a picture of them redone to be yummy- extra guacamole, leftover salsa from our chips, cheese, and the pico de gallo they placed on the plate as a garnish. They tasted much better and the green sauce definitely helped the potatoes :).

Ambiance...
is the only thing worth visiting this place for. Jon had great drinks and I chose to play it safe and stick to club soda.

Summing it up the ambiance helped me give it 2.5 stars. They did open in April and I hope that they improve over time. But for now I'll trust Pesos or Laredo's with my palate.

No comments:

Post a Comment