Friday, January 20

Mirrored Cabinet With Trim

Well winter has officially hit Seattle. We got several inches of snow dumped on us this week and my start date for the new job has been delayed until Monday.

Like most people, I love snow days..but after a while I get bored or drive people crazy. I originally celebrated by having a bunch of college friends who live walking distance over for a snow party. I live on Queen Anne hill (up from the Seattle Center) and when it snows, everyone treks up and goes sledding and skiing! after 13 hours of fun and drinking it was a total blast, and by the end of the day we had finished off 5 bottles of wine, a fifth of vodka, and bottles of whiskey and Bailey's (mmm homemade Irish coffees!). Further damage- I dropped my phone in the toilet. Luckily I had just bought a phone case which protected it a lot and with a bowl of rice saved it!

Usually when I'm bored I clean, then I do TV episode marathons, and finally I go find craft project or read. Well the house has been meticulously clean minus the "snow" towels for shoes in the foyer. The TV series I picked to marathon this week was Monk, and all time favorite, but consequently it's made me more OCD and I'm driving my room mate nuts :).

So finally I picked up my copy of Grace Bonney's Design*Sponge book which I only skimmed through briefly this fall. After reading cover to cover I've decided I want to try my hand at reupholstering furniture. Yes I know, I'm crazy. I'm still helping Jon decorate his apartment so I'll see if he lets me pick something for a pet project for him :).

Anyway it made me realize I have never shared my first DIY project with everyone! I love to read books and blogs on design, decorating, cleaning (OCD remember),cooking, and etiquette (ok, there's really no excuse for this one). Last February I started the slow process of redecorating my room. In May 2011 found this awesome mirrored cabinet to double as a book case and knick-knack storage on Haute Look. The cabinet pictured below is by an LA design company, Statements by J.


Looks great but it actually arrived with a very shitty paint job. I was so upset. Haute Look sells luxe designer clothing & home accessories for a discount to members. I think the cabinet retails for $5-600 but I got it for $280. Anyway I was so upset I called to complained, and emailed them the YouTube video I made with my flip camcorder detailing the poor paint job. Apparently their sweatshop just did a crappy job. You can view the video here.

Needless to say Haute Look was completely horrified that the furnishing company sent me a cabinet with such a poor paint job the tried to get a new one sent. Statements by J claimed they had no more so I was refunded my entire purchase price. Jon convinced me instead of giving it to the dump that I should just repaint it. Three trips to Home Depot, and a weekend later I had the cabinet I loved!



I used Mardi Gras (purple shade) from Behr and Dove White from Glidden. On the inside I painted the back panel of the shelves purple for a nice contrast to the white interior I painted. And the best part is it goes with my bed set. There was such little paint on the original cabinet there was really no need to sand it down so it made the job much easier. It's the first time in my life I've every painted something that wasn't on canvas. Now we'll see if I can find an upholstery project to do ;).

No comments:

Post a Comment